Everything seems right during the summer – it means vacations, swimming, and basking in the sun. Some of us are aware that too much sun might cause tone changes like freckles, dark patches known as melasma and pronounced wrinkling around the eyes. But, did you know that overexposure to the sun can cause sunspots on your skin, too?
What are sunspots?
Sunspots are flat, brown spots that appear on your skin due to overexposure to the sun’s UV rays. They are also called liver spots, age spots, solar lentigines or solar keratosis.
Sunspots typically appear on parts of your skin that are regularly exposed to direct sunlight – like your face. You might notice them on your forehead, cheeks, nose and sides of the face. Although they are typically painless, prolonged exposure to the sun might cause sunspots to itch, swell or hurt.
What can I do to prevent sunspots and other skin problems in the summertime?
Ensure you apply sunscreen of at least SPF 30 every day, and reapply during prolonged sun, heat, water and sweaty exposure/activity. Also, these natural ingredients can be applied to your skin or added to your diet:
- Aloe Vera can help the skin repair tissue that has been damaged, and grow new tissue. Apply gel twice daily to lessen the appearance of sunspots.
- Garlic can lighten skin tone and make it look more natural. Either consume garlic juice or apply a fresh clove to damaged skin for optimal results.
- Buttermilk lightens sunspots, particularly those on the hands and chest. Allow the buttermilk to sit on sunspots for several minutes before washing it off.
- Green tea is high in antioxidants that can minimize visible aging and improve the quality of your skin. Try incorporating a cup into your daily routine.
- Tuna contains healthy fatty acids that can help the body repair damaged skin and prevent sunspots.
How can NeoPulse Laser Therapy help?
What do you do with persistent sunspots that simply refuse to go away? NeoPulse Laser Therapy in Roanoke, VA, can minimize the signs of summer on your skin.
The PicoSure laser – an FDA-approved method for minimizing sunspots – effectively repairs skin damage. It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, freckles, sunspots, as well as evens out skin tone and texture.
PicoSure laser skin repair treatment is the fastest, least invasive procedure available to get the healthier, younger-looking skin you want.
Act now and receive 20% off!
Treatments can be performed throughout the summer, though many patients wait for September when they’re typically off the beach and out of extended periods of sun.
Right now, receive 20% off all packages through August and book your appointments for the fall or winter. Give us a call at 540-283-6015 or request an appointment online for your consultation with one of our physicians to see if laser treatment is the right option for your skin!